At Sacred Heart, we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to teach phonics. RWI is a method of learning based upon letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing. Read Write Inc. Phonics teaches children to read accurately and fluently with good comprehension. They learn to form each letter, spell correctly, and compose their ideas step-by-step.
We start teaching phonics in reception and this leads up to the phonics screening which all children nationally take at the end of year one.
A copy of all the sounds which children learn and the order in which these are taught can be found below. Please refer to this when supporting your child with their phonics.
For more information about how to support your child with their phonic knowledge, please refer to the website link below.
Phonics is an inclusive programme for all children learning to read- using synthetic phonics.
Children learn the 44 common sounds in the English language and how to blend them to read and spell. The teaching of phonics includes both a reading and a writing focus.
Aims and Objectives.
To teach children to:
- apply the skill of blending phonemes in order to read words.
- segment words into their constituent phonemes in order to spell words.
- learn that blending and segmenting words are reversible processes.
- read high frequency words that do not conform to regular phonic patterns.
- read texts and words that are within their phonic capabilities as early as possible.
- decode texts effortlessly so all their resources can be used to comprehend what they read.
- spell effortlessly so that all their resources can be directed towards composing their writing.
Teaching and Learning Style
This is based on the 5 Ps.
Praise – Children learn quickly in a positive climate.
Pace – Good pace is essential to the lesson.
Purpose – Every part of the lesson has a specific purpose.
Passion – This is a very prescriptive programme. It requires energy, enthusiasm and passion to bring the teaching and learning to life!
Participation - Partner work is used during phonic teaching with the partners 'teaching' of each other.